Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Balcony of Loneliness

It seems to me that to get to this spot upon the balcony, it feels like you have to be sneaky. Why? I don't know, beyond the fact that you have to take a very long trek through a series of passage ways.

In a way it seems quite silly. I got here at about three, when the sun was shining in the windows, near blinding me as I took up a seat for my belongings and then curled up on the floor to read The Idylls of the King– The Passing of Arthur by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Now the sun is setting. If I look carefully, I can just barely see Lake Champlain out the window. Outside it looks frigid. Earlier, when the sun was present, it looked warm for all the patches of snow covering the University Green. Now the only warmth comes from the colors of the room and the way the lights in here light everything up. I'm sitting here on the edge, teetering between the near darkness of the cold, frost-bitten outside world and the warm glow of this rotunda room. This room is truly beautiful. For all the fact that this room is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to go here, today is the first day I've actually gone.

I suppose it's time for me to go, before it gets too dark. I've gotten more work done in here than I have any other day.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment